Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Things Aren't Always What They Seem....

My husband and I went on trip to Chicago last week and left the kids here with grandma. They usually do very well on their own, but sometimes the pets get neglected just a little bit. So, when we returned home on Sunday, and both dogs started following me around, I assumed they were just really glad to see me, until I went upstairs to my bathroom. They both followed and jumped in the shower and looked longly at me. They hate baths so....Okay..... I checked their water. Yep, the bowl was dry. So, I gave them water and fresh food, gave the hamster food and checked on the cat. She was good. Then I went to check the hermit crab. When I picked up his shell, a small dead curled up hermit crab thing fell out. Woops!

I thought, oh well, I didn't really care for that thing anyway. I left him there and went to do other things. I'll deal with him later. I planned to take care of him on Monday. Clean out the dead curled up thing and put the bowl in the garage for storage, but I forgot about it after 15 loads of laundry.

This morning, my 8 year old finished her cereal and came upstairs and asked "Do hermit crabs shed?" I don't know, honey, why??
"Because my crab is in his shell, so I don't think he's dead." Interesting.... I went to check and he was curled up in his shell. The "dead crab" was actually just a dry husk! My forgetfullness or God's intervention had saved his life! I would have pitched the husk and put the whole thing out in the garage.

I had lunch with my friend Jennifer today and she asked what I would be blogging about next. I told her the hermit crab story and she said "Yeah, that could be a metaphor for life." (She's smart!) I hadn't really thought about going with the whole metaphor thing, but I guess that's true. So, the moral of this story is: don't hide in your shell all day, or someone might take you to the garage and really let you die. Or maybe, don't leave your dirty clothes laying around, or mom might threaten to kill you. I don't know which I like better.

No comments: