Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Man I Love or My Life as the Straight Guy

To give you better insight on my life, I thought I would give you few details about the love of my life, my husband. He's a comedian (or likes to think he is). I married him because he made me laugh. My roommates at the time would say, "you really think he's funny??" That should have been my first clue.

For example, we were recently discussing a local news story about a truck of cattle that had overturned on an interstate ramp dumping a load of bulls in downtown St. Louis. Several had died, but others had escaped and were roaming the streets of St. Louis. A few days later they had captured all but one of the free bulls. Our conversation went something like this:

ME: One of those bulls is still on the lam.
HIM: He has a sheep with him too?

So, that's the type of humor I deal with daily. His favorite joke is this:
HIM: I'm going fishing.
ME(playing the straight man role): Have you got worms?
HIM: Yea, but I'm still going fishing.

He has every member of his immediate family trained on this joke to play the straight man part, even his mother! He loves to pull this one out at all family gatherings or when he has a new audience. he loves a fresh audience because his material has been the same for 25 years or more!

I was just interrupted by a phone call from my dear husband.

ME:I'm working on my post all about the man I love.
HIM: Really,... who's that?

Everyone knows the straight guy always got paid more.

No comments: