Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My Favorite Christmas Music

Here we are on the verge of Thanksgiving and ready for the downhill ride to Christmas. At the risk of sounding cliche, time just goes by so quickly! I've been pulling out all of the Holiday decor today and I'm reminded of how much I love this time of the year. It's not just Christmas, but this season in general. I love fall and winter. I love the smell of smoke in the air, fall leaves (except when I have to rake them), pumpkins, football and the Holidays. I'm one of those people who has a minor let down in January. I love the fresh feeling of clean around the house after the decorations are gone, but at the same time it feels rather empty. Then it's time for me to nest in my big chair with a cup of tea and a good book.

I pulled out all of holiday CD's and have been listening to Christmas music non-stop. My husband and children just don't appreciate a good Christmas song. I get those eye rolls. I remember as a child, my mother would start with her Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams Christmas albums around the middle of November. What great Christmas music. Johnny's version of "Silver Bells" makes me think of my childhood house, with mom in the kitchen cooking and singing, although not very well. The singing, not the cooking. My mom is a great cook!

My new favorite Christmas music is by Peter Brienholt. He truly has a pure voice. His Noel album is simply beautiful. I also love all of the Mannheim Steamroller albums as well. Their version of Silent Night brings tears to my eyes almost everytime I hear it. I once played it in my college dorm room while a few of us were studying and there wasn't a dry eye in the room when it was over. We were all thinking about moms, home and Christmas. And my last new favoite Christmas thing is the movie Elf. If you haven't seen this movie, do so immediately. I love Will Ferrell in this movie. It's just so sweet.

So, don't just sit there! Go find those Christmas CDs or put in your favorite Christmas movie and get ready for this blessed season!

No comments: